Nurses, child care providers, homecare workers and janitors add to growing list of labor endorsements for Kshama Sawant's re-election to Seattle City Council.
Today all four Service Employees International Union (SEIU) locals in Seattle announced their endorsements for socialist City Councilmember Kshama Sawant.
- SEIU 775, representing homecare and nursing home workers
- SEIU 1199NW, representing nurses and other healthcare workers
- SEIU 925, representing education and child care workers
- SEIU 6, representing janitors, security officers, and allied industries workers
The SEIU locals combined represent more than 86,000 workers around Washington State, including more than 12,000 workers living within Seattle.
"Kshama Sawant is an advocate for working people," said Gloria Martin, a registered nurse at Swedish Medical Center and a member of SEIU Healthcare 1199NW. "I know she's with me as a healthcare worker. She stands up for us, so we need to stand up for her."
"I'm proud and humbled to receive such strong support from my union brothers and sisters. SEIU was critical in the victory on the $15 minimum wage. I'm inspired by SEIU workers' commitment to struggle for social justice and look forward to continuing our work together," said Councilmember Kshama Sawant.
These four latest endorsements underscore the overwhelming support for Councilmember Sawant among working people. Unions have come out strong and early for Sawant with 23 labor organizations endorsing to date.
- Karen Hart, President, SEIU Local 925
- Sylvia Liang, Seattle Caregiver, SEIU 775 Board Member
- Gloria Martin, RN, Swedish Medical Center, SEIU 1199NW
- Yasmin Aden, Secretary-Treasurer, SEIU Local 6